Monday 3 November 2008

This notes for you!

Sharon Foo, from the The Raveonettes. See the original source of this image here.



During the course of an average day at work I usually have my headphones jammed permanently onto my head, occasionally I push aside the left or right ear piece to include myself in conversation, but at times it can feel like I've been caught in a fish bowl moment, mouths moving in silent animated discussion whilst I struggle to untangle all the various ambient noises. Tractors, traffic, music, podcasts, conversation and birdsong all clamour for my attention. A quiet life in the garden, more often than not it ain't! Because I spend so much time listening to my i pod, I find myself getting a bit bored with it's content, and as a result when I link it up to the mother ship it's usually for slimming down purposes and not for uploading some groovy new addition to the library. All is not lost though, as one of the benefits of familiarity is that there are always a few weightless gems that bobble up above the rest. Some of the recent highlights warming my garden head space are Will Johnson's album 'South San Gabriel', Andrew Bird's 'Armchair Apocrypha', and The Raveonettes 'Chain Gang Of Love' and their latest offering 'Lust, Lust, Lust', which came with a funky pair of 3D spectacles! This band has to be one of my favourites at the moment. They are a Danish rock & roll twosome who sing sweet harmonies over intense surf rock fuzzy guitar noise. They blend 50s and 60s rock & roll with the darker sounds of The Velvet Underground. They've got that sugar and salt spitting bubblegum Pulp Fiction that I like. I can imagine listening to this on an evening spent reading some old 'Strange Tales' comics. I say treat yourself today, everyone should have at least one Raveonettes album in their CD stack.


They don't make them like they used to. Find more of the above here




.

No comments: